Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Through and out !

I always hated knitting.
Mostly because,at the time,it was something
I didn't ever want to do
But my mother,bless her heart,
Had other ideas.
She inspanned the help of
My Aunty Ann
Now Aunty Ann was a stickler for detail,
A fanatical gold-medalist Gardener
Who always wore a khaki cap
with a flowing back neck-piece
For protection against
the hot African sun,and which we kids
thought absolutely hilarious...
But Aunty Ann was cleverer than we thought
"See that nice scarf" she pointed at a pretty red and blue
Knitted scarf hanging behind the dining room door
"Like to make one like it ?"
I hummed and hawed,"Yes, I can  try "
I said, staring at her khaki cap neck piece
" I'll try "
Out came the giant sized knitting needles,red and blue wool.
Straightaway we set to work
I was all fingers and thumbs
Until after desperate days I began
to get the hang of first "casting on "
And then learning the main stitches..
Plain
and Purl
"Left hand down" shouted Aunty Ann,
Her wrinkled weather beaten face gleaming
"NOW..IN...OVER...
THROUGH...AND OUT.."
Slowly,laboriously  these words became a chant
Which I found myself repeating through the day
And woke up saying  in the morning..
And I learned to knit...
Day by day I came to manage the plain stitches
But Oh my !...the PURL!
Many a tantrum and a
throwing down of knitting paraphanalia !
Later I somehow managed the  dreaded Purl
After many a-pulling out and a re-knitting
We managed to get me to knit
My first scarf
Slightly Hol-ey,Puckered
From dropped stitches in some places
But nevertheless
A scarf !
i don't know what happened to it-
but I can still remember to
"through and Out"
When it comes to finishing something..
And know that no matter
How incapable we are,when we start to learn
To walk in His footsteps
And no matter how many stitches we drop
We will be "Through and Out"
In the  End !

No comments: