Saturday, May 5, 2012

SHOT AND GOAL!

During my ballet years my mum didn't encourage me to play sport.
It would damage my ankles,ruin my chances at ballet.
But the Salisbury Girl's High School thought otherwise.
Sport was compulsory.
I could swim,play tennis  or hockey.
I would have to do at least two of those.
My best friend Cynthia was very sporty.
A real wizz at whacking balls down the tennis court.
She won the diving and came first at crawl..
She also learned ballet with me and was good at that too.
My Mum bought me a tennis raquet which weighed like lead in my hands,even tho'
it was the lightest racquet we could get.
I got my short little white tennis dress,takkies( canvas shoes to some !) and socks.
I would ride home  for lunch and my Dad dropped me off at the school.
"Eye on the ball" screamed the coach
Of course I couldn't even hit the ball, though.my eyes were never off it.
Dratted thing.
My feet seemed stuck like glue on the court.I could never move fast enough.
After that things got worse to such an extent that the coach asked me to get out of his sight.
Next came swimming.I nearly drowned at our favourite picnic spot "Mermaid's Pool"
Mrs Abz,my swimming teacher ,gave up tussling with me and my swimming belt
and told my Mum I was a hopeless case.
That left hockey...
Cynthia helped me get my hockey uniform and hockey stick.
Before I knew it I was inspanned into her school hockey team.
One thing I could do and that was to run fast.I ran my fastest,dribbling the ball
to the goals.
"You'r running down the wrong way," bellowed Cynthia"turn around and go  the other way "
But too late.
I didn't hear her and proudly shot the goal into the goals.
Well, that was the end of that.
My Mum told me not to try that again.

I would damage my ankles for life, and wouldn't  be able to dance..
Well as it happened I didn't even have to do that any more.
I just had to do what was on God's Agenda.
"Just do your best"was my Mum's favourite slogan
And God's?
"Whatsoever ye do,do it heartily as unto the Lord " Colossians ch 3 v 23

No comments: